Infertility/Fertility/IVF

Question
Hi Dr,

I had a 3 day transfer last week(2 embryos, 7 cell and 8 cell). Today is 6 days post transfer. I felt mild cramping 2 days after transfer and after that nothing. Does it mean this cycle failed.
My first IVF was positive but it was tubal and I had cramping and tight feeling in my abdomen for the entire 2 week wait. But this time I feel nothing. Is this cycle gone?

Thanks,
May

Answer
Hello May from the U.S. (California),

The symptoms that you are having are not indicative of anything.  It would be way too early to feel an ectopic (it needs to grow to a certain size before symptoms are produced and you are not far enough along).  

At this point, I think you are reading into the symptoms too much.  Implantation does not occur for 7 days post transfer.  Many patients describe a "cramping" sensation before a positive pregnancy test that we call "implantation cramping or implantation pain".  So, that may be what it is but there is no way to know for sure.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG