Hi Dr,

I had a 3 day transfer last week(2 embryos, 7 cell and 8 cell). Today is 6 days post transfer. I felt mild cramping 2 days after transfer and after that nothing. Does it mean this cycle failed.
My first IVF was positive but it was tubal and I had cramping and tight feeling in my abdomen for the entire 2 week wait. But this time I feel nothing. Is this cycle gone?

Hello May from the U.S. (California),

The symptoms that you are having are not indicative of anything.  It would be way too early to feel an ectopic (it needs to grow to a certain size before symptoms are produced and you are not far enough along).  

At this point, I think you are reading into the symptoms too much.  Implantation does not occur for 7 days post transfer.  Many patients describe a "cramping" sensation before a positive pregnancy test that we call "implantation cramping or implantation pain".  So, that may be what it is but there is no way to know for sure.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco