Infertility/Fertility/PCOS

Question
Hi!   Obviously by the heading, (PCOS) I have unreliable periods. My last 3 periods were brought on by Progesterone Rx.  This is the first month Ive been put on Clomid (100mg Days 5-9) by my Dr.  He had me do a series of 3 blood tests (Day3, Day10, and Day21). I got positive opks from night time on Day 19 to end of Day 20.  My husband and I had sex ever other day  starting Day 10- 17.  We didnt have sex again until Day 20. I didnt bother checking the opk on Day 21 because I didnt want to obsess.  I called my dr. to find out my test results and he said my progesterone level on Day 21 was 1.5.  Is that normal? He assumed I had ovulated earlier until I told him it was Day 20.  We didnt have time to talk, he was kind of short and ordered another blood test for Day 27.  I am currently on Day 26. I never got the chance to ask him if 1.5 is normal if I had positive OPKs the day before.  Also, did we time the sex right?

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hello Lisa from the U.S. (Pennsylvania),

I am not a big proponent of OPK's for the timing of ovulation induction cycles, but if we assume it was correct, then you had intercourse at the right time.  However, the progesterone level does not confirm ovulation.  It should be at least a level of 10 (there is no "normal" when interpreting the progesterone level, rather one looks for the adequate level to indicate ovulation).

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG