Infertility/Fertility/No period....

Question
Hi I'm from South Carolina.
I have had a irregular period since I was maybe 16. My doctor put be on birth control. When I was 18 I stop taking it because I was married, i stopped having my period and we wanted a baby. I took some kind of drug my doctor gave me to ovulate but my period never came but I did get pregnant and had a normal birth. Then I started taking my birth control I had my period every month. Then I believe maybe 6 months ago it stopped working I didn't have a period and I stopped taking it. I was recently trying to get pregnant again. But I do not have a period anymore but I thought I could still get pregnant since I had my son without having a period. My husband is very fertile. So it has to be me. I went to m gynocologist he told me don't worry about not having a period. I recently went to another doctor that told me different that I should have a whole work up done to find out why. Can you tell me a few reasons why I do not have a period and never ovulate?

Thanks

Answer
Hello Lizzy from the U.S. (South Carolina),

You are not having regular periods because your ovaries are not functioning correctly.  There are multiple reasons why this could be occurring (any where along the hormone pathway), which would be too extensive a subject to cover here.  I have discussed it in more detail in my BLOG.  The most common reason is an ovarian dysfunction disorder called Polycystic Ovarian Disease, which has nothing to do with "cysts" although that is in its name.  It is a basic ovarian dysfunction resulting in the lack of ovulation and a hormone imbalance.  The treatment is to use fertility medications to induce the ovary to ovulate.  This is called ovulation induction.  Clomid is one of the drugs that can be used and is used in doses ranging from 50 to 250 mg.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG