Infertility/Fertility/Recurrent Miscarriages

Hello Dr. Ramirez,
My husband and I have been trying to conceive since 2007. I have PCOS and I have had 5 miscarriages, first one in April 2009 at 10 weeks and the others at 6 weeks. I've also lost a baby due to an incompetent cervix at 6 months. My most recent miscarriage was last month after an IFV cycle at 6 weeks. I was on baby aspirin, progesterone shot, metformin and Estrace. My fertility specialist was not able to say why I am having these recurrent miscarriages. My doctor has done blood work and all standard testing. After numerous IUI cycles we went ahead with IVF which also led to a miscarriage. I still have four embryos left and don't want to pursue with another IVF cycle until I can get some answers as to what might have gone wrong or what I can do to change the outcome. Do you have any suggestions for me? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hello Nilla from Canada,

First, let me say that you should read my Blog where I have written extensively regarding recurrent pregnancy loss and possible treatments.  It is too extensive for me to put in this answer.

Since you have the diagnosis of "Recurrent pregnancy loss", there is a protocol that is usually followed to evaluate for the possible causes.  This includes genetic testing (both you and your husband), immunological testing, infectious disease testing, anatomical testing, hematologic testing and hormonal testing.  It is quite an extensive array of tests.  This is what should be done BEFORE you proceed with any more IVF cycles.  The treatment will then depend on what is found.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco