Infertility/Fertility/Recurrent Miscarriages

Question
Hello Dr. Ramirez,
My husband and I have been trying to conceive since 2007. I have PCOS and I have had 5 miscarriages, first one in April 2009 at 10 weeks and the others at 6 weeks. I've also lost a baby due to an incompetent cervix at 6 months. My most recent miscarriage was last month after an IFV cycle at 6 weeks. I was on baby aspirin, progesterone shot, metformin and Estrace. My fertility specialist was not able to say why I am having these recurrent miscarriages. My doctor has done blood work and all standard testing. After numerous IUI cycles we went ahead with IVF which also led to a miscarriage. I still have four embryos left and don't want to pursue with another IVF cycle until I can get some answers as to what might have gone wrong or what I can do to change the outcome. Do you have any suggestions for me? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hello Nilla from Canada,

First, let me say that you should read my Blog where I have written extensively regarding recurrent pregnancy loss and possible treatments.  It is too extensive for me to put in this answer.

Since you have the diagnosis of "Recurrent pregnancy loss", there is a protocol that is usually followed to evaluate for the possible causes.  This includes genetic testing (both you and your husband), immunological testing, infectious disease testing, anatomical testing, hematologic testing and hormonal testing.  It is quite an extensive array of tests.  This is what should be done BEFORE you proceed with any more IVF cycles.  The treatment will then depend on what is found.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG