Infertility/Fertility/Sperm analysis results

My name is Courtney and I am writing from Seattle.

My husband's sperm analysis results are in and they are as follows.

Please let us know what is your opinion on this?

pH = 7.8        
Immature Forms(SABs) = 0   
WBC= 0   
Speed   = 3       
Forward Progression = 3          
Volume    = 4.0 ml   
Sperm Agglutination= None        
Sperm Concentration   = 18 million/ml
Viscosity = 4       
Morphology = 9%       
Motility= 40 %
Total Motile Sperm    28.8        

Can we try with timed intercourse or should we move to iui/ivf?

Hello Courtney from the U.S. (Washington),

The semen analysis is abnormal in several parameters.  The "sperm concentration" also known as count is less than 20 Million, which is the normal level.  Of these sperm, only 40% are motile (also known as live sperm).  This should be 60%.  Finally, only 9% are anatomically normal, meaning 91% are abnormal sperm.  So as you can see, that leaves only 7.2 Million sperm that are live and of those only 9% are normal, which means that there are only 648,000 sperm available for fertilization.  That is way too low.

In addition, the main purpose of a semen analysis is to test for its function, which is the ability to fertilize an egg.  Because we cannot do this test without removing your eggs and putting them with the sperm, the semen analysis was developed to give us something to evaluate.  So, it is actually an INDIRECT measure of sperm function.  From IVF, we know that when the semen analysis is abnormal, especially if severely abnormal, there tends to be a functional problem as well, meaning the sperm don't have the ability to fertilize.  For this reason, the current recommendation, when the semen analysis is severely abnormal,is to inject the sperm into your eggs, called ICSI.  This is done in conjunction with IVF.

IUI is an alternative, but the chances of pregnancy would be very low.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco