Infertility/Fertility/success rate of iui with pcos

Hi I have pcos and an arcuate uterus and recently discovered I suffer from premenstrual UTI's I've had irregular periods for years and have skipped a period for up to several months at a time, ever since I started treating the UTI.s my period has been seen more frequently and somewhat regular however I'm still not ovulating as often as I should. I am hoping that IUI might help or laporoscopy I do not know what my chances are after trying to conceive naturally for several years. I am currently 27 yrs old. Pls help

Hello Lucy from the U.K.,

By definition, you have infertility if you have been trying for pregnancy for 1 year without success.  If you have irregular cycles, that would certainly make it difficult for you to get pregnant because you are not ovulating on a regular basis and probably have a resultant hormonal imbalance.  What needs to be done at this point is do some hormonal testing to determine why your ovaries are not functioning correctly.  Once that is determined, then you can receive an appropriate treatment.  In most cases, this treatment is using fertility medications, which actually should be called ovulation induction medication, which will induce the ovaries to ovulate propertly and thereby correct the hromonal imbalance.  The only advantage IUI gives you in that regard is that these fertility drugs are often used, but the actual insemination portion of the procedure is really to treat sperm problems, not ovulatory problems.

I would strongly recommend that you see an infertility specialist.  That way you don't need to keep wasting time and delay having a child.  Once you get the ovulation problem taken cared of, and as long as there are no other reasons for your infertility, you have an 85% chance of pregnancy per year, which is the normal rate for your age group.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco