Infertility/Fertility/fertility drugs

I am writing from long island, New York.
I had trouble conceiving and did 3 months of clomid and one round of injectibles with IUI's. I conceived twins on the one round of injectibles. I have read that there is some kind of link to autism with mothers who used fertility drugs. Do you have any input on this? I have boy/girl 7 month old twins, they both seem normal and healthy. I am just curious?

Hello Debbie from the U.S. (New York),

There are no such studies that directly like IVF to fertility drugs.  There have been some studies showing that increased maternal age (mid 30's or later) may have an increased risk of autism, and since there are many patients in that age category that undergo infertility treatment, that could be the association.  But the bottom line answer is no association of fertility drugs to autism.  Who know what the real cause is?  It can't be infertility because there are plenty of autistic kids out there that were conceived naturally.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco