Hi. I am 18 years old and just when I was 15 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have noticed facial hair starting to grow on my face, along with other unwanted hair growth on my body. My periods used to be irregular and sometimes I would go for months without a period. Like maybe 3 months. Since the last year though my periods have been coming every month with ease. So I was wondering then if I really have PCOS? And maybe I am just genetically a hairy person. Also, does PCOS make you look manly? Thanks for your time!

Hello Lynn from the U.S. (Kansas),

First, I would like to refer you to my blog where I discuss PCOS extensively.

Second, the basic requirement for PCOS is an ovulatory dysfunction which leads to irregular period.  This is an absolute requirement and if you don't have an ovulatory dysfunction, then even if you have ovaries that look like PCO ovaries, you don't have PCOS.

Third, PCOS causes a decrease in the female hormones because of the ovarian dysfunction, and an increase in the male hormone testosterone and therefore can lead to increased facial hair growth over time.  This hair growth is irreversible.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco