Infertility/Fertility/Mirena Methadone and Fertility

Question

Me and my husband are trying to become pregnant with our 3rd child. In June I had my Mirena removed after having it for almost 5 years. After having it removed I tried to get off prescription pain pills( I was not on narcotics for an reason I was addicted to pai pills) When that did not work I started going to the methadone clinic. I am now successfully off pain pills but dose at 75mg of methadone daily. I started on 30mg and gradually went up. Immediately after beginning the methadone my periods stopped completely. I am slowly trying to wean myself off the methadone b/c we want a child so badly. I tried to become pregnant from June to Aug( In Aug I realized i was not breaking the addiction on my own and started on methadone) I did not become pregnant in those 2 months. I know that is no time but i did not even have to try to become pregnant with my first two. I guess my concern is is it possible the mirena(or methadone?) has caused fertility issues? My periods were never a normal 28 day cycle.. seems to be around 34 days or so. I tried ovulation tests and everything for those 2 months. I was just truly shocked we did not get pregnant. I was having sex 4 days straight that i though i was fertile. just some expert opinion on this situation would be nice. thanks so much!

Answer
Hello April from the U.S. (Virginia),

First, you need to understand that Methadone is a narcotic but just a weaker narcotic than the pain pills you were taking before.  It is a step toward getting off your addiction but you are not "off" it yet.  I would recommend that you get completely clean before you attempt to become pregnant because this WILL affect the baby.

It takes the average woman under 30 years old, 8-12 months to get pregnant, so if you have not been trying for at least that long, it has not been long enough to worry that something is wrong.  If you have been trying for 12 months and still no pregnancy, then you need to see a fertility specialist.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG