Infertility/Fertility/Trying to conceive

Question
Hi there, i came off the depo injection in November 2011, running out in feb 2012,
I did not have a period until feb 2013, since then my periods have been arriving every
29 days, however only last for two days of normal flow then stop and around one week later
I get a day of dark brown "old" blood. I have been getting positive ovulation tests, and day 21 blood tests indicate that I am ovulating. However, just not becoming pregnant. I am 26 years old.
Is a two day period enough for successful implantation?
I have had my Fallopian tubes checked which are both open, other blood work is normal,
Partner had had semen analysis- normal also.
My dr is saying I was highly sensitive to the effects of depo  and I should continue to try naturally as he believes I will conceive naturally. I'm loosing hope given the time since last injection. Do you have any advice you could offer?
Thank you

Answer
Hello Maria from the U.K.,

The length of the period is determined by the thickness of the endometrium and not related to implantation.  Two days is adequate.  However, if the lining is not developing sufficiently and not undergoing the appropriate microscopic changes, then implantation will not occur.

The fact that you have regular and predictable periods is an indication that you are ovulating and the Depo provera is totally out of your system.  Your doctor is incorrect to blame depo provera for this.  Your delay in getting pregnant has some other basis.

I think that if you have been trying for at least one year and not achieved pregnancy, then you need to see a competent infertility specialist and undergo a full evaluation.  If it has been less than one year, then you should know that it takes the average woman in your age group 8-12 months to achieve pregnancy, so you might just need to give yourself a little more time.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG