Infertility/Fertility/Irregular menstrual cycle post pelvic surgery

Dear Dr Ramirez,
I was unfortunate to be involved in an accident here in London in April of this year. I shattered my acetabulum and needless to say I've had a number of pelvic CT scans and X-Rays both pre and post op. I'm now 38 years old and always had a very regular cycle prior to this accident. However since the accident my cycle has been much more irregular and I wonder if this could be due to the radiation exposure?

Hello June from the U.K.

If excessive radiation exposure occurs, it could cause the ovaries to stop functioning thereby leading to a "premature menopause" type state.  This can be seen in patients that undergo radiation therapy (high does radiation treatments) for pelvic cancers.  In many of those patients, this state is temporary and the ovarian function will return, although they may not have viable eggs.

In the case of diagnostic radiation, such as CT scans or x-rays, the amount of radiation exposure is minimal and therefore would not lead to the aforementioned state.  So, I don't think these tests are the source of your irregular cycles.  There may be something else going on affecting the ovarian function.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco