Infertility/Fertility/Mucus & Cervix

Question
Hello:

What is the purpose of mucus that is seen on and around the cervix?  How common is it for this fluid to seep or leak from the vagina?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hello Kenneth from the U.S.,

I don't think anyone can answer as to the "purpose" of cervical mucous.  It's like asking what the purpose of the appendix is.  At the time of ovulation, the cervical mucous allows the sperm to swim up into the uterus and then to the tube to accomplish fertilization.  At the other times in the cycle, the mucous is more of a "plug". So I can't say what the purpose is, it is just there.

The vagina produces its own mucous as well, from glands within.  This is the usualy "fluid" that leaks out as the cervical mucous tends to be very thick and stringy and not runny.  Vaginal mucous increases at certain times, like with arousal, or other hormonal changes and is very common.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG