Infertility/Fertility/Mucus & Cervix

What is the purpose of mucus that is seen on and around the cervix?  How common is it for this fluid to seep or leak from the vagina?

I thank you for your reply.

Hello Kenneth from the U.S.,

I don't think anyone can answer as to the "purpose" of cervical mucous.  It's like asking what the purpose of the appendix is.  At the time of ovulation, the cervical mucous allows the sperm to swim up into the uterus and then to the tube to accomplish fertilization.  At the other times in the cycle, the mucous is more of a "plug". So I can't say what the purpose is, it is just there.

The vagina produces its own mucous as well, from glands within.  This is the usualy "fluid" that leaks out as the cervical mucous tends to be very thick and stringy and not runny.  Vaginal mucous increases at certain times, like with arousal, or other hormonal changes and is very common.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco