Infertility/Fertility/Vaginal douching

Question
Dr Ramirez,
What is your opinion about douching? Do the risks outweight the benefits? I have read statistics stating that 30% of American women douche even though the American College of obstetricians and gynecologists advise against the practice.

Answer
Hello H from the U.K.,

The problem with douching is that it can change the natural bacteria that is within the vagina and helps to keep the vagina healthy and resistant to infections.  By removing them, either by a water douche or vinegar douche, you will make yourself more susceptible to various kinds of infections, such as yeast infections, and the change in pH can cause changes in the lining.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  I now provide personalized fee for service consultations/advice/direction via email and payable via Pay Pal.  If interested, contact me via my email at info@montereybayivf.com.  This service will allow you to have your own personal on-demand infertility expert

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG