Infertility/Fertility/What are my chances?

I am 38 years old and on my 4th fresh IVF Cycle.  Here is my record:

Male Factor infertility.

1st IVF: At 34 years old, yielded 2 B grade embies, 4 day transfer, pregnant with one sassy daughter!

2nd IVF: At 36, transferred 2 5BB's on day 5, froze 2,no pregnancy.  

3rd try: At 36, FET of 2 not so great embies, pregnancy, missed miscarriage at week 7, but baby was not looking good from the start.

4th IVF fresh cycle: At 37, 5dt of 2 embies 5AA and 5AB, pregnant with perfect twin boys, lost the pregnancy at week 20, infection suspected.

This is my 5th try, at 38, fresh cycle, leading follicle making life hard, 7 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized.  SET of a 5AA blast, froze rest (5AB, 5AB, and 5BB).

Lining looks good, as per MD.

My question is, given my history, what are the chances this little embie will go the distance?  Is my age a factor when the quality of my embryos has only risen as I get older?

Wow - what a journey!  As long as the factor(s) causing your 20 week loss are no longer present, it sounds like you're VERY on track for doing well with your little embie.

Yes, even with higher grade embryos, age is a definite factor in success (due to DNA errors not reflected in embryo grading).

Best of luck (let me know!), and my fingers are crossed,
Dr. Roseff in Florida (Have you seen OUR IVF success rates??!!)(
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG

I can answer questions relating to ALL aspects of female infertility.

I am Board Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility.

Medical Advisory Board, Serono Labs, Inc.
Speaker's Bureau, TAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
The International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy
The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
The International Federation of Gynaecologic Endoscopists
U.S. International Foundation for Studies in Human Reproduction, Inc.
The Endometriosis Association
Fellow, The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
American Medical Association
The Academy of Medicine of NJ
NJ Obstetrical & Gynecological Society
The NY Reproductive Medicine Society (Steering Committee)
The Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
Resolve - National Chapter
Resolve - New Jersey - Executive Board

Please be so kind as to see my CV at: or

Postgraduate Fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility was done at The University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine.

Mellon Fellow in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 1988, awarded for academic excellence in the Reproductive Sciences, for research efforts aimed at development of novel contraceptives.

Wyeth Service Award for Physician Education and Training in Norplant Contraceptive Implants.

Certificates of Service and Appreciation from Our Lady of Mercy Medical Clinic, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 1978-1982.