Infertility/Fertility/Cycle after d&c. Hoping to get pregnant!!!

Question
Hello!
I am 32 years old and from New York, NY. I recently had a d&c at 7.5 weeks for a blighted ovum. Exactly 28 days after the procedure I started my period. Today is cycle day 1. I had been tracking my BBT and taking ovulation predictors since the procedure and it appears that I did not ovulate in between the procedure and this period. Can I expect to ovulate now that I have had a period? I use to ovulate around day 11-12 in a 28 day cycle. Can I expect this new cycle after the procedure to be the same? Is it common to have anovulatory cycles after a d&c? I am anxious to start trying to conceive, hopefully this will be my lucky cycle!
Thank you!!!

Answer
Hello Lori from the U.S. (New York),

Once your period restarts, that is an indication that your ovaries are "back on line", to borrow a computer term.  So, you should be back to having ovulatory cycles and therefore be able to try for pregnancy again.  There is an exception, however, and that is if the bleeding was from retained tissue.  If that is the case, that means the ovaries are not yet back to functioning and will not be until the remaining tissue is removed because it could be secreting bHCG hormone.  The way to check this is to check your bHCG level (blood) and have an ultrasound done.  I would probably advise this since it generally takes 2-3 weeks for the bHCG hormone to leave your system after a miscarriage or D&C and then about 4-6 weeks for your ovaries to reset and have the first period.  Since your period started only 28 days after the D&C, it is a little suspect.  The tests will clear that up.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG