Infertility/Fertility/Hypogonadism

Question
Dear Dr. Roseff:
   I've been diagnosed with Hypogonadism. My endocrinologist has suggested that I go into HCG treatment. I'd like to know what are ALL the possible reasons for my hypothalamus not producing enough (or not at all) gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which is as you know, is supposed to stimulate the pituitary gland to release Leutenizing hormone (LH). He checked my Prolactin level and he didn't say anything about it.

Answer
Hi Jimmy,

It's impossible for me to know why someone has hypogonadism without a history, physical exam, and test results.  There are MANY possible reasons for this, including, and not limited to, anabolic steroid use, extreme stress, Kallmann Syndrome, other genetic abnormalities, and brain tumors.

There are two types of endocrinologists - medical and reproductive.  You should strongly consider seeing a reproductive endocrinologist if you haven't already done so.

Best,
Dr. Roseff in Florida
www.reproendo.com
=======================
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Infertility/Fertility

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG