Dear Dr. Roseff:
   I've been diagnosed with Hypogonadism. My endocrinologist has suggested that I go into HCG treatment. I'd like to know what are ALL the possible reasons for my hypothalamus not producing enough (or not at all) gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which is as you know, is supposed to stimulate the pituitary gland to release Leutenizing hormone (LH). He checked my Prolactin level and he didn't say anything about it.

Hi Jimmy,

It's impossible for me to know why someone has hypogonadism without a history, physical exam, and test results.  There are MANY possible reasons for this, including, and not limited to, anabolic steroid use, extreme stress, Kallmann Syndrome, other genetic abnormalities, and brain tumors.

There are two types of endocrinologists - medical and reproductive.  You should strongly consider seeing a reproductive endocrinologist if you haven't already done so.

Dr. Roseff in Florida
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG

I can answer questions relating to ALL aspects of female infertility.

I am Board Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility.

Medical Advisory Board, Serono Labs, Inc.
Speaker's Bureau, TAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
The International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy
The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
The International Federation of Gynaecologic Endoscopists
U.S. International Foundation for Studies in Human Reproduction, Inc.
The Endometriosis Association
Fellow, The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
American Medical Association
The Academy of Medicine of NJ
NJ Obstetrical & Gynecological Society
The NY Reproductive Medicine Society (Steering Committee)
The Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
Resolve - National Chapter
Resolve - New Jersey - Executive Board

Please be so kind as to see my CV at: or

Postgraduate Fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility was done at The University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine.

Mellon Fellow in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 1988, awarded for academic excellence in the Reproductive Sciences, for research efforts aimed at development of novel contraceptives.

Wyeth Service Award for Physician Education and Training in Norplant Contraceptive Implants.

Certificates of Service and Appreciation from Our Lady of Mercy Medical Clinic, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 1978-1982.