Infertility/Fertility/Infertile after miscarriage?

Hey I'm from Oregon and I just had a miscarriage in October at 8 weeks along. I feel like my miscarriage caused me to become infertile. Before I got pregnant I always had very obvious signs of ovulation so I always knew I was ovulating, and now I don't get any ovulation signs at all. I don't get increased cervical fluid or anything anymore. Is it possible that my body stopped ovulating because of my miscarriage? And if so, is there any natural ways for me to get my body to ovulate again?
Also, I had to induce my miscarriage with pills so maybe that could have messed something up?

Hi Kailie,

The pills should not have "messed" anything up.  Sometimes it takes a few months to get the body back in shape after a miscarriage.  Having said that, you should be sure your blood test for pregnancy (hCG) is negative (have the actual number measured, not just whether hCG is present or absent) and be sure the hCG level is <5.

Also, talk to your doctor about having a pelvic ultrasound exam done to assure there's no left-over pregnancy tissue in your uterus, if that hasn't already been done.

If you're having menstrual cycles regularly (about every 28 days) since your loss, you're likely ovulating but just not experiencing the fluid or other signs (you can ovulate and not have any of the signs).

Hope this helps,
Dr. Roseff in Florida
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG

I can answer questions relating to ALL aspects of female infertility.

I am Board Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility.

Medical Advisory Board, Serono Labs, Inc.
Speaker's Bureau, TAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
The International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy
The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
The International Federation of Gynaecologic Endoscopists
U.S. International Foundation for Studies in Human Reproduction, Inc.
The Endometriosis Association
Fellow, The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
American Medical Association
The Academy of Medicine of NJ
NJ Obstetrical & Gynecological Society
The NY Reproductive Medicine Society (Steering Committee)
The Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
Resolve - National Chapter
Resolve - New Jersey - Executive Board

Please be so kind as to see my CV at: or

Postgraduate Fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility was done at The University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine.

Mellon Fellow in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 1988, awarded for academic excellence in the Reproductive Sciences, for research efforts aimed at development of novel contraceptives.

Wyeth Service Award for Physician Education and Training in Norplant Contraceptive Implants.

Certificates of Service and Appreciation from Our Lady of Mercy Medical Clinic, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 1978-1982.