Hi My husband and I are trying to have a baby. I am 27 and I have had a few problems such as endometriosis and abnormal cells in cervix which I had an op to fix 2 years ago.
I have had recent tests done and they have shown I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome (I am not over weight). I went off the pill and didn't get my periods for 4 months. my next cycle was 45 days. My husband has been tested as well and his results came back abnormal but is hopefully still able to conceive. We are both taking vitams.
My specialist has recommended me to start provera 10mg and clomiphene citrate 50mg. just checking this is the right thing to do. Provera for the 1st 5 days of each calendar month and clomid day 5 to 9.

Thanks Rach

Hello Rachael from Australia,

Although Clomid is a valid choice to try to induce the ovaries to ovulation when you have PCOD, and Provera is appropriate to get your period started, it is incorrect to just give you a six month or more prescription for these drugs and tell you to go try to get pregnant.

First, there are five possible doses of Clomid to choose from and without monitoring your ovarian response, there is no way to know if the dosage is too low, too high or not working at all.  

Second, if the Clomid works, you don't need the Provera.

Third, how will you know when ovulation is going to occur so that you can time your intercourse correctly, if you don't monitor follicular growth?

Fourth, if there is a sperm abnormality, that can mean many things depending on the values.  It can especially mean that there might be a "functional" problem with the sperm, which means that the sperm cannot fertilize the egg or get to the egg.  In that case, IUI is the treatment of choice.

Based on all these facts, I can say that you are seeing the WRONG doctor!  I would recommend that you see a REAL fertility specialist that will evaluate you correctly, prescribe the correct treatment and actually help you get pregnant.  With this doctor, you will be wasting time and money.  I would recommend that you look up my Blog where I discuss PCOD and how a Clomid cycle should be done so that you can be more informed when you speak with the doctor.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco