Infertility/Fertility/Want to know if I am ready to conceive

Hello Doctor,

I am 29 years old woman from India.My height is 5ft and weight is 127 lbs.
I regularly take DULOTON-L and Aldactone 100 since last 12 years as I have PCOS.I have normal cycles of 28 days.
As I want to start family now I have following questions.

1.Should I stop taking Aldactone 100 alongwith DULOTON-L ?

2.How long it takes for my body to be prepared for conception after stooping DULOTON-L and Aldactone?
Say, I stop taking pills at February , then by when I should be ready to conceive?

3.Do I need to go through other medications or investigations in order to conceive?

4.Is there any associated risks or any extra measures I should take care of?

Advanced thanks for your advice.

Hello Neha from India,

You want a consultation but that is not possible here.  Let me answer the questions as much as I can.

1.  You have to stop the Duoluton because it is a birth control pill if you want to get pregnant.  You don't have to stop the aldactone, but it is not really necessary at this point.
2.  Once you stop the OCP, you just need for your ovaries to begin functioning again to start trying.  In normal ovaries, that would start with the first period after stopping the pills.  In your case, because you are PCOD, your ovaries don't function normally so you would probably need fertility medication to induce your ovaries to ovulate (called ovulation induction).
3.  In general, fertility doctors will not consider you "infertile" until you have been trying for one year, but since you have known PCOD, hopefully you will find one that will and start you on ovulation right away.  With infertility patients, we usually recommend a full evaluation prior to starting any treatment.
4.  This question is too broad to answer.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco