Infertility/Fertility/Femara and Ovidrel

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I'm from Minnesota. My husband and I have been trying since August of 2011. I have endometriosis and PCOS since finding out when I was around 17 years old, I'm 25 now. I have had five cycles of Clomid that didn't work. I had laparoscopy surgery for this post December, blocked tubes, suck ovaries, scar tissue, cysts and endometriosis. I'm on metformin because that's supposed to help with infertility and PCOS. I started femara this month. Had 4 follicle on left and 1 on right from ultrasound. I usually ovulated on the 15th day, this time I didn't ovulate so I took the ovidrel shot and had a positive test. Started estrogen and progesterone day 3po. Currently on day 10po. I have cramps on and off.  I was just wondering what my chances of conceiving are and what is the next step if this didn't work this cycle. Any information or insight would be great!

ANSWER: Hello Kate from the U.S. (Minnesota),

Your statistical chances of pregnancy with stage four endometriosis (endometriosis with extensive adhesive disease) and PCOD is probably less than 1% using any natural treatment method (Clomid, Femara or Injectables with intercourse or IUI).  That is because you have an abnormal pelvis and this location is critical for passage of the egg from the ovary to the tube.  Scar tissue, which is like spider webs, can block the egg from entering or reaching the tube.  Endometriosis causes a chronic inflammation of the pelvis which leads to the inflammatory cells attacking and destroying the egg as it exits the ovary to reach the tube.  Polycystic ovarian disease is an ovarian dysfunction where the ovaries don't function properly and so there is a resultant hormone imbalance and lack of ovulation.  All of these put together significantly reduces your chances.

It is my humble opinion that you are probably not seeing an infertility specialist because a good infertility subspecialist would have told you all this and not done all the treatments you have done.  The treatment of choice is to proceed to IVF so that you can bypass the pelvis completely.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

QUESTION: I Wanted To Update, I'm Currently 12 Weeks Pregnant!! I Was On Metformin, Clomid, Femara, Did Ovidrel shot Day19 & Progesterone And Estrogen Three Days Later. I Had A Follicle Check After The Clomid And Femara And Had 5. Pregnant With Only One Child.

Answer
Hello Again,

That is FANTASTIC!  It just goes to show that there are no absolutes and that there are always exceptions to the rule. You are an exception.  I've had a patient with stage four endometriosis who also achieved pregnancy by natural means and beat the odds.

Enjoy your pregnancy.  One thought I would like to leave with you is that studies show a woman to have a heightened pregnancy rate within the first 6 months after a pregnancy, and pregnancy is a GREAT treatment for endometriosis.  Therefore, if you want to have another child after this one, you might want to consider trying right away after the delivery, or as soon after as possible, to maximize your chances.

I've seen many such miracles in my career.  God certainly works his magic in many ways.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG