Infertility/Fertility/PCOS

Question
QUESTION: what does the ultrasound report mean when it states that i have aleast 12 follicles per ovary

ANSWER: Hello Kadia from Jamaica,

It means that you have 12 or more follicles in each ovary, which meas that you have sufficient numbers of follicles for fertility treatment or getting pregnant.  Follicles are the structure where the eggs are contained.  When we count follicles, we are doing a survey called an "Antral follicle count" and that is only to confirm that there are sufficient follicles in the ovaries to give a good yield of eggs.  It doesn't tell you anything more.  If there only a few antral follicles, then that is a sign that the ovaries may not yield many eggs in an ovulation induction cycle such as IVF.  The finding you had is normal.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

QUESTION: thank you doctor however the report says that the impression is polycystic ovaries and what does no free fluid mass or collection is identified.some years ago i did a HSG which said i have a obstructed RT fallopian tube and patent LT i know this means that the RT is blocked but is it possible it could have been wrong

Answer
Hello Again,

Since the report mentioned "12 or MORE" then yes, the ovaries could have the characteristics of polycystic ovaries but ultrasound does not make the diagnosis.  It is only a piece of evidence for that diagnosis.

No "free fluid or mass" means exactly that.  They did not see an fluid within the pelvis nor any masses, such as cysts or tumors.

If the fallopian tube is blocked on HSG, in most cases that means that it is permanently blocked but in some cases, it could be due to tubal spasm or a mucous plug in which case it can unblock, or show patency in a repeat HSG.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG