Infertility/Fertility/Possible Endo

Hi there.  Hubby and I have been TTC for almost 4 years now, with no success.  We have been to two different REs, the first performed one HSG and we underwent two unsuccessful IUIs.  The second ran a lot of tests, told me my eggs were low and wanted to go straight to IVF.  In the last couple of years, my menstrual cramps have become unbearable, to the point of awaking me in the middle of the night.  I have always had cramps, but nothing like this pain.  I also have diarrhea along with my cycle, a yeast infection every month, and terrible seasonal allergies.  Two years ago I had an abdominal myomectomy and at that time, my doctor separated my fallopian tube from my uterus-they had gotten stuck together.  I have been reading up on endometriosis and it sounds to me like I may have it.  No doctor has ever suggested that I get tested for it.  But I seem to have many symptoms of it.  Do you think my tube and uterus getting stuck together were a result of undiagnosed endo?  Could this be causing our infertility?  Thank you for any answers you can provide.

Hello Willow from the U.S. (Virginia),

It seems that you are smarter than the two RE's that you consulted with.  Given this history, you certainly could have endometriosis, and the prior surgery probably made the diagnosis.  Endometriosis is one of the major causes of adhesions (scar tissue) formation in the pelvis.  It can lead to infertility because it changes the normal anatomy and can prevent an egg from entering the tube.  In addition, you have now had an open surgery (myomectomy) which is notorious for causing scar tissue formation as well.  These two things on their own would explain your infertility.

At this point you have to make a decision: whether to treat the pelvic pain or get pregnant.  Treating the pelvic pain will require additional surgery.  Getting pregnant would require IVF, the only option for bypassing an abnormal pelvis.  Do not be under the misunderstanding that doing the surgery to diagnose and treat the endometriosis and adhesions will restore your fertility.  In fact, the opposite will occur because every surgery leads to further adhesion formation.  Only do the surgery if the pain is a significant problem.  If pregnancy is the priority, then go straight to IVF.  In many cases, getting pregnant will help the endometriosis pain.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco