Infertility/Fertility/Provera/clomid ?? When to start clomid

My doc has put me on provera for 10 days to start my period. He told me to take it for 10 days and then after 3 days when my period starts to start the clomid. I am confused since my period has started three days after I started provera . when do I take the clomid ? do I still take the provera and if so when do I  start having sex. Pleas help I am very confused.

Hello Crystal from the U.S. (Florida),

I think it is IMPERATIVE that you go find another doctor and find one that knows how to really do clomid ovulation induction cycles.  You will be wasting your time with this one!

Clomid is started on either cycle day #3-7 or #5-9.  Either will do.  Cycle days are determined by the day that you start your period (flow).  In most cases, only 5 days of provera are required to start a period.  In any case once the period starts, the provera is no longer required and you can stop it.  All these things should have been explained to your by your doctor, if he/she knew exactly what they are doing.  As you can see, you've missed a lot of information and that is the reason I believe you are wasting your time with this doc.  I'll bet he/she placed you on Clomid without even doing an infertility evaluation, right?  So what is it that he/she is treating?  What is your diagnosis?

If you have a strong continuous cough, you don't want your doctor to just prescribe cough medicine do you?  Don't you want to make sure it isn't a brochitis or pneumonia that need antibiotics or a lung tumor that might need surgery?  Prescribing Clomid is like giving cough medicine without knowing exactly what you are treating.  In addition, the method your doctor is using is like telling you to take the medicine when you think you need it without specific instructions on when and how to take it.  That is NOT what good doctors do!

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco