Infertility/Fertility/recent d&c, had 1st af, now ttc, having mid-cycle bleeding

Im 35 with 2 beautiful kids. On 2/6/13, underwent a d&c (approx 8wks in-missed miscarriage). Bled on and off for 2 weeks. Approx 3 days after the bleeding stopped, AF came for 5 days. I'm now TTC, but am having mid cycle bleeding. So far I have bled for 3 days. I am at a loss. Can mid-cycle bleeding keep me from getting pregnant? Or is this just a sign of something else? Should I go see my obgyn?

Hello Alliant from the U.S. (California),

The bleeding you are having is abnormal and could prevent pregnancy.  Blood is toxic to an embryo.  It could also indicate that there might be some "retained" placental tissue that was missed at the D&C.  That would be my number one suspicion since you bled for so long after the D&C.  The bleeding should only have lasted a day or two.  I would advise that you see your gynecologist.  They need to evaluate for retained products of conception.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco