Infertility/Fertility/TTC 6 months no success

Hi, I'm Tera from Michigan. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 6 months now with no success. I'm 26 years old, I understand that is still young and that even for healthy couples it can take a year or more. After about 3 months we bought a ClearBlue fertility monitor that I use. I also track my basal body temperature. My periods are regular, every 26-28 days, and last 4-5 days. I was on birth control for about 6 years before we started trying. My last period ended about a week ago but since then I have had slight cramping and a little bit of light brown spotting, and bloating, I've never experienced this before now, any idea what this could be?  Also, any suggestions to increase our chances, on top of the fertility monitor and BBT charting?

Tera H.

Hello Tera from the U.S. (Michigan),

I think you are already doing everything that you can do at this time.  I don't like to be patronizing to my patients, but in this case, I apologize in advance.  I think you need to stop thinking too hard about getting pregnant or worrying about it.  On average, a women under the age of 30 will take 8-12 months to get pregnant, so you have not reached the point where you should worry.  If you don't get pregnant after 12 months of trying, then you need to seek out a good infertility specialist to do an evaluation.

In terms of the spotting and bloating, I don't have any answers for you that I can give without an examination.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco