Infertility/Fertility/Absent period

Question
Hi
I'm trying to get pregnant, but I have irregular periods haven't had one for nearly 4 months.
Can I take one birth control pill to induce my period? And will it regulate my period?

Answer
Hello Jasmyn from New Zealand,

You can certainly take birth controls to start your period and give you regular cycles but then you won't be able to get pregnant.  If you want to get pregnant and have irregular menstrual cycles, that is a sign that ovulation is not occurring and something is affecting the ovulatory process.  You need to undergo hormonal testing in order to determine what the cause is and then treatment to restore ovulation.  That will require seeing a fertility specialist.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG