Infertility/Fertility/antibiotic and cortisone during pregnancy

Question
QUESTION: hello sir;
    i am 38 yrs .today i am 5wks4days pregnant this is my third pregnancy in the last three years.the first two ended in miscarriage in first trimester after cardiac activity was diagnosed.i have been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome for which i was given lmwh and baby aspirin. in my second pregnancyand now   also i have started taking lmwh inj.
    sir my question to you is once in every 3 or 4 months i get shivering in the night for 5 to 10 min which settles on its own .i do not get fever.During my earlier two pregnancies which ended in missed abortion also i experienced these chills and 3 days back also when i was 5 wks preg i experienced the same chill for 5 min in night.I went to my doc who advised me on taking roxithromycin 300 mg once a day for 7 days and predenisolone dispersible tab 5mg[cortisone} twice a day .sir  i am worried about taking these med in pregnancy .please help
         thank you

ANSWER: Hello,

These medications are okay to take in pregnancy.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

QUESTION: thanks for your reply sir,
         sir i would like to know what could be the reason for the shivering
without fever that i experience every 2 or 3 months for 5min in the night.
can this shivering affect the pregnancy?

Answer
Hello Again,

"Shivering" is a response to either cold or fever.  It is a neurologic and physiologic way for our body to either produce heat, as in shivering when it is cold, or to reduce heat by using it up in a fever.  Just based on a symptom of shivering I can't tell you what it might be without further study.  Certainly infection causing a fever could be a possibility and may be one reason why your doctor prescribed antibiotics, but you could rule that out simply by taking your temperature when you have the shivering episodes.  If you take your temperature and DON'T have a fever, then the shivering is probably not from an infection.  It could be hormonal or neurologic.  I know that giving you these answers is vague and probably not completely understandable, but it would involve too much to try to explain it in further detail.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG