Infertility/Fertility/Proper ovulation but no periods

Question
Sir,
First I thank you for answering many doubts for various people around the world. Its a great service that you do to make people comfortable.
My case is that I ovulated on day 16 (confirmed by ultrasound). We had unprotected intercourse from day 12 - day 17. I am on my day 40 and I din get my periods yet. Usually I ll get my period on day 30. I tested for hpt and it is negative. How long should i wait to check through urine hpt? Is it possible that I can be pregnant? I don have any symptoms except burping. I am worried this time bcos I had a missed abortion last time. Note: I was provided with ovaa shield capsule by my gynaec. Will that be helpful to get pregnant?  I heard that anybody who ovulate on day 16 will get their period on day 30. Is it true? What may be the other reasons to get a negative hpt in this situation?

Answer
Hello Gayathri from India,

When you miss a period there is always a chance of pregnancy.  The only way to confirm this is to do a blood pregnancy test.  IF the blood test is negative, then Provera or a similar progesterone should be given to induce a period.

The luteal phase (the period of time after ovulation) is always 14 days.  So if you ovulate on day#16, the period will be on day #30 if pregnancy doesn't occur.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG