Infertility/Fertility/obesity infertility

My husband and i have been having trouble trying to get pregnant now for over a year now and have no luck. I have had a child to a previous relationship (who is now 7).
we have recently seen our GP and been told to get my husbands sperm analyzed... he is very reluctant to do it because he is convinced that his weight is the problem, and that is what is stopping it from happening. He weighs asks and i weight 109, my question is, would weight be a factor in all this or would it pay him to still get the tests done?

We have pretty much tried everything, and because we live in a small town, there is only one doctor that we can see, and he doesn't seem to know a great deal about it...

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated, because we are pretty much ready to give up..

Thank you

Anne, Queensland, Australia

Hello Anne from Australia,

I would recommend that you two begin an infertility evaluation.  That includes a semen analysis, cycle day #2 or 3 hormone testing, hysterosalpingogram, ultrasound, midluteal phase progesterone, end of cycle (cycle day #26) endometrial biopsy and possibly, a laparoscopy.  More than likely you will need to find a fertility specialist.

Although weight can have some issues, it is less likely to have issue in men unless there is some underlying hormonal problem, such as thyroid.  The first step in the male evaluation is to have a semen analysis so your husband needs to do it.  Overweight or Obese men can certainly produce pregnancies if the sperm is normal.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco