Infertility/Fertility/Repeated implantation failure.

Dear Dr,

We have just had our 4th failed ivf.
Our history.  Iam 36, my husband is 39. 1st pregnancy was in 2009 after 3 IuI's and clomid, but had to terminate at 15 weeks due to large enphaloceale. (was a random genetic mutation) 2nd pregnany was 1 mth after termination and DNC, with IUI- full term healthy baby boy.

Started with IuI's for 2nd child in 2011! We had 10 IuI's and now 4 IVF's.  Each IVF has been icsi and this time we had Embryo hatching. Last 3 transfers were 3 top grade 8 cell embryos each time om day 3.  I am not a great responder and only ever have 5-7 eggs, of which usually 4 fertilise.

I have had all the immunity checks done, my husbands sperm dna damage is within normal, fertilisation rate is good.  My ovarian reserve was also checked and the level was 1.0- My specialist said that he wasn't overly worried about the reserve for my age.  I have had a hysteroscopy and all normal.  I have been on various drug protocols and this last one was the long Lupron cycle with menapur.

We are just not sure what to do next?  Do we keep going, as my doctors are very positive and we have the finances. Are my doctors missing something?  Is there anything else we can do to improve our chances.  I am on DHEA and Royal Jelly, and my hubby is also on supplements.

I am writing from CapeTown.

Thankyou for your consideration

Hello Ritu from South Africa,

The exact cause of your failure cannot be known as there are still four steps your embryo has to go through in order to produce a pregnancy: embryo has to develop to blastocyst, the blastocyst has to hatch our of its shell, it then has to attach to the uterine lining and the lining has to grow around it.  As of now, there is no technology that can make this happen.  "Assisted hatching" is just making a defect in the shell so that the embryo can exit (hatch) more easily.

One thing I always worry about when I have patients tell me they have failed multiple cycles despite good embryos, is the quality of the final step of the IVF process, which is the transfer.  You can have the absolute best and perfect embryos but if the transfer technique is not done well, then it will fail.  This has been shown by numerous studies.  Since you have been going to the same clinic, I wonder if that is not the problem, in which case, I would recommend that you seek out a different clinic.

One thing that I do with my patients that is not universally accepted but done by many of us, is to use a recurrent miscarriage protocol to reduce the immune system, thinking that a heightened immune system might be at fault.  For this regimen I add low dose heparin or lovenox, medrol, low dose aspirin, extra estrogen and extra progesterone (both injectable and vaginal).  I don't think that DHEA does anything so I don't use it.

At 36 years old, I have a 66% pregnancy rate in my clinic.  By two to three attempts with good 8 cell embryos, you should already be pregnant.  Your rate should especially be increased over other 36 year olds since you have been pregnant before.  For these reasons, I think the fault may lie in your clinic and not in you or your husband.  It's too bad you can't come to California, USA.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco