Infertility/Fertility/Watery and Low volum Semen due to over Masturbation

Hello sir,

Please suggest an expertise if my question does not relate to your expertise.

My semen is watery and very low in volume.
It is because I used to masturbate in childhood when I was 13-14 years old.
At that time I didn't know what semen is and how a child is born. I thought the while liquid is any kind of waste material of body and this is why I used to masturbating every day to clean my body. And I remember that once after masturbating many times during bath, I found that no any semen came out. I thought that I became successful in cleaning my body completely.
Next year in school I read in the book that it's impossible to get a child without semen. Then I had nothing except crying and regretting on what I did. After learning enough about sexual organs and semen I completely stopped masturbating but it was too late.

My friends at that time said that my body will produce semen again after some time. But now 10 years have passed and my semen is still very watery and very low in volume. I think my glands have lost the ability to produce thick and high volume semen.

Now I  rarely masturbate, not more than three times a year, and only to test the thickness and volume of the semen. I am in 25 and still virgin as I didn't want to loss any more semen.

I have fear I will not get a child. Please advice on how to increase the thickness and vollum of my semen as it is watery and some times only a few drops in volume.

Hello Sahil from India,

Semen is a product of the prostate.  It does not produce pregnancy.  It is just a transport media for the most part.  Sperm, which produces a pregnancy, is produced by the testicle.  Without doing a semen analysis there is no way to know if you are producing sperm or not.  The amount of semen is only important if trying to produce a pregnancy naturally.  In men who have inadequate semen or sperm, there are other technologies that can be used.

You CANNOT over masturbate.  The decrease in semen is NOT due to masturbating a lot when you were a child.  Sure, if you masturbate enough times consecutively on the same day, the amount of semen will decrease, because you store a certain amount which gets slowly released, but it will replenish itself.

If you have a low semen count, then there may be something wrong with your prostate or epididymal tubes.  I would recommend that you see a urologist and undergo an examination and evaluation.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco