Infertility/Fertility/follicles and imfertility

I'm 25. Female, of a healthy weight. Don't drink, smoke or have a poor diet. I look after my self.

I had an ultrasound, which revealed small follicles, doctor says these can be indicators of cysts... But proceeded to say the ultrasound reveals no cysts.... But then said I still could have cysts. Which I found confusing, when does someone have follicles and are not going to have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

My period cycle duration varies from 30 to 32 days. My partner and I want to start trying for a baby in 1.5 years. I'm scared that these follicles or supposed cysts and my odd period cycle may be diminishing my chances of falling pregnant, in that case we would be wanting to try for baby sooner if my fertility is going to become unlikely.

Do you have any advice for me? I am currently getting my blood tested for hormone levels too.

Thank you so very much for your time.

Hi Maree,

A woman has eggs in her ovaries, and those eggs develop each month in small fluid-filled structures called follicles.  Many follicles develop each month, and, typically, one goes on to ovulate (while the others die).  Since anything in the human body encased in fluid by definition can be called a "cyst", it's NORMAL to have multiple small cysts at various times during the menstrual cycle.  This does NOT constitute a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

Most, though not all, women with PCOS have irregular menstrual cycles and unwanted/excessive acne or body/facial hair.  If you don't have these, the likelihood of having PCOS is low.

I hope this helps!!
Dr. Roseff in Florida
Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG

I can answer questions relating to ALL aspects of female infertility.

I am Board Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility.

Medical Advisory Board, Serono Labs, Inc.
Speaker's Bureau, TAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
The International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy
The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
The International Federation of Gynaecologic Endoscopists
U.S. International Foundation for Studies in Human Reproduction, Inc.
The Endometriosis Association
Fellow, The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
American Medical Association
The Academy of Medicine of NJ
NJ Obstetrical & Gynecological Society
The NY Reproductive Medicine Society (Steering Committee)
The Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
Resolve - National Chapter
Resolve - New Jersey - Executive Board

Please be so kind as to see my CV at: or

Postgraduate Fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility was done at The University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine.

Mellon Fellow in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 1988, awarded for academic excellence in the Reproductive Sciences, for research efforts aimed at development of novel contraceptives.

Wyeth Service Award for Physician Education and Training in Norplant Contraceptive Implants.

Certificates of Service and Appreciation from Our Lady of Mercy Medical Clinic, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 1978-1982.