Infertility/Fertility/follicles and imfertility

Question
I'm 25. Female, of a healthy weight. Don't drink, smoke or have a poor diet. I look after my self.

I had an ultrasound, which revealed small follicles, doctor says these can be indicators of cysts... But proceeded to say the ultrasound reveals no cysts.... But then said I still could have cysts. Which I found confusing, when does someone have follicles and are not going to have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

My period cycle duration varies from 30 to 32 days. My partner and I want to start trying for a baby in 1.5 years. I'm scared that these follicles or supposed cysts and my odd period cycle may be diminishing my chances of falling pregnant, in that case we would be wanting to try for baby sooner if my fertility is going to become unlikely.

Do you have any advice for me? I am currently getting my blood tested for hormone levels too.

Thank you so very much for your time.

Maree

Answer
Hi Maree,

A woman has eggs in her ovaries, and those eggs develop each month in small fluid-filled structures called follicles.  Many follicles develop each month, and, typically, one goes on to ovulate (while the others die).  Since anything in the human body encased in fluid by definition can be called a "cyst", it's NORMAL to have multiple small cysts at various times during the menstrual cycle.  This does NOT constitute a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

Most, though not all, women with PCOS have irregular menstrual cycles and unwanted/excessive acne or body/facial hair.  If you don't have these, the likelihood of having PCOS is low.

I hope this helps!!
Dr. Roseff in Florida
www.reproendo.conm
www.IVFMD.com
__________________
Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
PERSONALIZED/SUCCESSFUL Specialty care....
As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff.

Infertility/Fertility

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG