Infertility/Fertility/Infertility issue

Question
My husband and I are trying to get pregnant, we have been trying for 3 months and nothing. I was having Gotu Kola tablets for a month previously to trying to conceive, would this have affected my chances at getting pregnant?

Thanks

Answer
Hello Amanda from the U.K.,

By definition, you need to have tried for 12 months before the diagnosis of infertility is made (6 months if you are over 35).  The reason for this is that the majority of women (85%) will take 12 months to get pregnant.  If you have only been trying for 3 months, you have not been trying long enough to worry about getting pregnant.  The body goes through a 10 step process for pregnancy to occur and it does not do these steps perfectly each time, and you need each of the steps to be accomplished before pregnancy will occur.

The supplement you mentioned will do nothing to enhance your fertility and is probably not necessary.  What you can do is take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid (folate) and try to time your intercourse properly.  There is only 12 hours in each month where you can get pregnant so timing is a key step.  If you have regular and predictable menstrual cycles, you can time by using the calendar method.  Basically, you start counting from the first day of your period (cycle day #1).  Then when you get to cycle day #10, you stop having intercourse until cycle day #13.  From CD#13-17, you have intercourse each day, only once per day and only one ejaculation each time.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG