hello i m from Sri Lanka.
My husband's Semen Analysis Test shows the following results.
Could i please know if (Assuming i am fertile and normal):
1. i can do an IUI with these results?
2. or will it have to be IVF
3. or will have to be ICSI?
4. Is a normal conception possible?
5. is there medicine to improve his sperms
Analysis of Seminal fluid
Appearance – Opalescent
Liquefaction time - <30 min
Consistency – 1/3
Volume – 2.5 ml
PH – 7
Fructose – N/D
Agglutination - +/-
WBC – 0.1 M/ml
Round Cells – 0.2 M/ml
Analysis of Sperm
Concentration – 24 M/ml
Mortality – 20%
a. Rapid Linear Progression – 0%
b. Slow Linear Progression – 8%
c. Non progressive – 12%
Non motile – 80%
Viability – N/D
Morphology (Normal forms description)-7%
Head defects – 43%
Neck defects – 29%
Tail defects – 12%
Comments – Astheno Teratozoospermia
Hello Sara from Sri Lanka,
1. You can certainly do IUI but the chances of pregnancy are not the best because very few of the sperm are forward progressively motile. This could indicate a functional problem whereby the sperm are unable to fertilize the egg.
2. IVF with ICSI would be the treatment of choice but is not a "have to."
3. ICSI is the treatment of choice to overcome a potential functional deficit. Keep in mind that semen analysis is an "indirect" measure of what is important with sperm, namely fertilization. We cannot test fertilization without extracting your eggs first. In the past, before ICSI was developed, we would see a high fertilization failure rate when the semen analysis was abnormal. For that reason, we now assume that there is a fertilization problem with abnormal semen analysis and recommend ICSI.
4. Unlikely, but miracles do happen and there are always exceptions to every rule. You could be an exception.
5. Not to improve progressive motility.
Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
Monterey, California, U.S.A.
for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com
check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf. Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.