Infertility/Fertility/Canceled IVF

Question
Dear Dr. Ramirez

My name is flore from Argentina.
In the first week of july I had to cancel my IVF #3 due to poor response.
My menses were expected around the 16th and on the 17th I started spoting. As recommended by my doctor I have started on that day to take Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10mg x2/day tablets to control my menses for my next try in september.
My period completly disapear right after starting to take this tablet.
My doctor did a scan and the result was that the 4 follcles were still there, very big some of them were 32x26, endometrium 5.8 and ovulation did not occured. I was not given anything after cancelation and my doctor is telling me that they will go away naturaly.
My question is, should my doctor have prescribed something to make sure ovulation occure ? Would I be able to have my next IVF in september if they still there ? I am very worried..
Thank you for taking time to respond

Answer
Hello Flore from India/Argentina,

Having cancelled your cycle, your doctor gave you progesterone so that you would have a subsequent period.  It was not intended to allow ovulation to occur.  That would have been handled differently if hat is what you wanted.  You should have discussed that with him.

For now, the follicles should resolve on their own, but it would be a good idea to go on the birth control pill once your period starts in preparation for an IVF cycle in September.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG