Infertility/Fertility/chemical pregnancy on Buserilin

Question
Dear Dr. Ramirez,

I am from the UK. I have asked you a question some time ago.Thank you for being generous with your time and advice.

I was on a long ivf protocol with downregulation on Buserilin . My clinic allowed us to try to conceive on the same cycle as the treatment( with buserilin being started on day 21 of the cycle)    On day 10 of Buserilin treatment, I had a positive pregnancy test and I was asked to stop Buserilin. However, this ended in a chemical pregnancy 2 days later.

My question is what your advice would be on whether trying to conceive naturally whilst on Buserilin as I will be restarting the long protocol again. I am asking this question as there is contradictory advice in the internet.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
R

Answer
Hello R from the U.K.,

Buserillin is a GnRH agonist, similar to Lupron.  I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of the medication was in your clinic's protocol. It is the first time I've heard of it used in that way.

I'm not sure that it would have any benefit in a natural cycle, but that is more because of my experience with using Lupron.  I would presume that without ovarian stimulation, ovulation would not occur (as in the long protocol), but as mentioned, I'm not sure what the thinking is regarding using it from CD#21, so I'm not sure I can advise you on this.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG