Infertility/Fertility/extremely high 1st beta 1736

After 100 mg clomid days 3-7 and no trigger shot have a 1st beta of 1736 and a second beta 48 hrs later at 2270. RE suggested multiples. Should I be concerned about molar pregnancy? Shouldn't beta double? I have had 1 birth followed by 2 mc. Have been doing acupuncture and herbs too.

Hello Lee from the U.S. (California),

I do not speculate based on HCG levels, but certainly if the level was 10-12 days of ovulation, there is the possibility of a multiple.  You'll have to have an ultrasound done next week to see.

We do expect bHCG's to approximately double every other day.  The actual requirement is an 80% rise.  Since your bHCG did not achieve that, it is a little worrisome regarding the pregnancy.  However, keep in mind that no conclusions can be draw just from this value.  One possible scenario is that you started with a multiple but one is not continuing normally.  You'll have to wait to see how it proceeds.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco