Infertility/Fertility/Hormones?

Question
Hi, I was just wondering if you know of any way I would be able to regulate my periods without taking any form of birth control? I've been on birth control off and on for the past few years, I no longer want to take it, and my cycles have always been irregular when not taking birth control (bleeding normally for a couple months, then every other month, every few months, twice in a month, etc). I want to have monthly ovulatory cycles without taking the pill. The only thing I can think to do is eat foods that contain natural estrogen and progesterone, but would that even help at all? What should I do? I am 21 years old, weigh 114 pounds, and I am from West Virginia.

Thank you for your time! :)

Sarah

Answer
Hello Sarah from the U.S. (W. Virginia),

It sounds like your ovaries are not functioning correctly leading to a hormonal imbalance and the lack of regular ovulation.  The only way to correct that is with the use of fertility medications to induce ovulation.  In women that are not trying for pregnancy, we use the birth control pill because it suppresses the ovary (shuts it down), balances the hormones by giving you estrogen and progesterone, and produces a regular menstrual bleed based on withdrawing the hormones at a specific time.  There is no "natural" way to induce the ovaries to work correctly to to get you to cycle normally since there is a basic physiologic problem.  Instead of taking the birth control pills, you certainly could take progesterone for two weeks each month, at scheduled intervals, to induce a bleed but that does not correct the issues.  Sorry that I can't give you more natural remedies.  Keep in mind that there is no such thing no matter what anyone says or tries to convince you.  I wish there were, but alas, no such luck.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG