Infertility/Fertility/Hubby and I Are Trying To Conceive

Question
I am from Greenville Michigan and I am 29 years old. For the past year my husband and I have been trying to conceive our second child and haven't had much luck. I went to my Gynecologist and she did some blood work for my hormone levels and they all came back normal except for my insulin was a little high but she said it wasn't anything to be worried about. She prescribed me Metformin. My question is can taking Vicodin lower a mans sperm count? I don't know if you can answer that. My husband has a vicodin prescription and sometimes he just takes them even when he's not in pain so he can fall asleep. Can that be lowering his sperm count. We have a daughter now and have been having problems conceiving the second child.

Answer
Hello Angela from the U.S. (Michigan),

First, you need to see an infertility specialist so that you can undergo a complete evaluation, including a semen analysis.  

In terms of Vicodin, please keep in mind that it is a very ADDICTIVE medications and is one of the most common prescribed drug leading to addiction.  It will not affect your husband's fertility, but my concern in what you wrote is whether you want another child to enter into a home with a father that has a drug addiction?  That is what you need to think about.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG