Infertility/Fertility/Intercourse Problem


Im 23yrs old lady from India. Im married a year ago and we are planning to have a baby. Since i started intercouse im suffering from vaginismus.I always feel uncomfortable and keep my body tight during intercouse and does not allow my husband to enter. I feel my vagina is very tight and if at times I allow him to enter ( may be an inch), he cant go in deep becoz it hurts. More over, when he tries to insert it with force it comes in front part and he edjuculates very soon, like may be in the secnd push itself.

I have been to the docter for the check up and Firstly, when she inserted some instrument in me and tried to expanded my vagina... I couldnot bear that pain and made a scene. Secondly the docter called me on 11th day of my periods to check my follicles. Im not able to bear the pain of the trans vaginal ultra sound.

Plz help me with my problem. I appreciate with all the answers that you give me on this matter.

Hello Anonymous from India,

You indeed have vaginismus and the cause needs to be determined.  It could be anatomical, such as an intact hymen, hormonal leading to lack of lubrication or psychological.  The distinctions are made by an examination by a doctor that understands this problem well.  This type of doctor is usually a gynecologist.  The treatment is going to depend on the basis for the problem.  For example, if it is an intact hymen or tight vagina, surgery can be done to open the hymen or widen the vagina.  If it is hormonal, hormonal therapy may be required.  If it is psychological, then you will need therapy to get to the point of feeling relaxed at the time of intercourse.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG


I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.


I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, California Medical Association, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco

©2017 All rights reserved.