Infertility/Fertility/Ovitrelle or Pregnyl

Dear Dr. Ramirez,

I am writing to you from the UK. My ivf clinic has offered me the choice of Ovitrelle (I think it is called as Ovidrel in the US) and Pregnyl to trigger ovulation. I would be much appreciate it if you could please let me know which one is better.
Thank you in advance.

Hello R from the U.K.,

I use Ovidrel exclusively because I had several incidences of failed ovulation with Pregnyl or generic HCG in the past.  In addition, Ovidrel is a subcutaneous (just under the skin) injection rather than an intramuscular injections (into the muscle).  I have never had an incidence of failed ovulation/maturation (where no eggs were retrieved) using Ovidrel.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco