Infertility/Fertility/predenisolone in first trimester

Question
Hello sir;
        I am 37yrs old .I have had two first trimester miscarrriages .Now again i am six weeks pregnant.I have been asked to take predenisolone 5mg twice a day till 12th week .Then reduce to 5mg once a day in the 13th week.Then in the 14th week to further reduce the dose to 5mg every alternate day then stop.
     Sir i am worried as i have heard that predenisolone taken in first trimester of pregnancy may affect the baby and it may cause cleft lip ;cleft palate and other malformation.please advice

Answer
Hello Rehana from India,

Prenisolone is used often in patients that have recurrent miscarriages.  I don't think you need to worry.  It has not been shown to lead to any anatomical abnormalities that I know of.  It is probably not required past 12 weeks gestational age.  If this indeed worries you, then you need to speak to your doctor about your worry, and probably cease taking the medication.  You are the only one that can decide what risks you are willing to take: miscarriage vs theoretical risk of abnormalities (peace of mind).

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG