Infertility/Fertility/side effects?

Question
I just got paired with a couple and I am/was going to be their gestational carrier.. several females in my family are very very fertile, so my fiancÚ and I are always very careful ( we don't have sex very often due to him being so paranoid about getting me pregnant), well I went through 2 weeks of a mock cycle, I was told my lining was amazing and was told to call back in a month when I got my next period, well about 5 days after I stopped taking the estrace pills I was spotting very lightly, then again a week later. I am currently 2 weeks late on my period and the fertility office I go to NEVER returns any messages and I am really worried. Is it common for this hormone to make your period this late or should I be worried?

Answer
Hello Amber from Texas,

Well, it doesn't sound like the fertility clinic your are going through is very good.

I'm a little confused as to the protocol you are on so can't be completely sure about the advice I'm giving.  Usually, in a mock cycle, it involves the entire month and basically is replicating what would occur if you went through an embryo transfer cycle.  The key is to evaluate the uterine lining and make sure you are forming a good lining.  Once this occurs, and you stop the medications, you should have a period due to the withdrawal of the hormones.
Because you only mentioned a "two week" cycle, it is possible that there wasn't sufficient tissue to slough and therefore the "bleed" you had was your period.  In any case, the fact that you were on these hormones would change your normal cycle and the timing would be changed.  As such, the hormones don't make your period late, rather, it should occur upon ceasing the medications.

I know that this explanation is a little vague, and as mentioned at the beginning, I can be exact or specific because I'm not sure of the protocol you used.  I would need to review that to see exactly what is going on.  If you're worried about a possible pregnancy, then you can easily check that by having a pregnancy test done.

My other advice is if you are going to participate as a surrogate, you need to INSIST that the clinic be in close touch with you.  You basically tell them the following: "If I'm going to be a surrogate in this clinic, then you need to make sure that you keep in close contact with me, answer all my questions and returns my calls.  Otherwise, I will talk with the couple and let them know that I am not comfortable with the arrangement in this clinic."  That should make them listen.  They can't do the IVF cycle without you so that should make them pay closer attention to you.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG