Infertility/Fertility/Timin of IUI

Dear Doctor,

I had one follicle size of 18mm on day 13 of my cycle (I have very average number of cycle length) on a Saturday. The scan specialist said the follicle of 18mm had very slightly started to "collapse" (i.e. near ovulation?). I then tested a positive surge with a home test on Sunday morning (day 14 of my cycle - I don't take any fertility drugs) and had the IUI Monday at lunchtime with a good sperm count of 48 million in the preparation. I was not able to test my surge again Monday first thing in the morning as the test fail (technical issue) and I did not have another one.
Do you think I ovulated before the IUI, i.e. on Sunday when I had the surge?

Many thanks,

Hello Elizabeth from the U.K.,

It is possible that ovulation occurred earlier because it can occur between 24-52 hrs.  There is no way to know for sure.  That is why some doctors prefer to do two IUI's with each cycle: one at 24 hrs and one at 48 hrs.  The majority of people will ovulated nearer to the standard 36 hr mark but that is not always the case.  That is why the highest IUI pregnancy rates are only 25% per cycle (month).

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco