Infertility/Fertility/Clomid & HCG Trigger

I am writing from San Diego, CA.  I was on 100mg Clomid on CD 3-7, then 2mg estradiol on cd 8-12.  I went in for an ultrasound to check follicles on cd 13.  My RE said that this was most likely a lost cycle because I had 2 dominant follicles at 26 and 31 mm.  He gave me an HCG trigger because he did not want the follicles to get bigger and become cysts.  My uterine lining was 14 mm, and my RE was happy with that.  My husband and I had intercourse the day of the trigger and the day after, then skipped a day and had intercourse one more time.  Were the follicles too big?  Do we have any chance of conceiving this cycle?  I have also been feeling cramps since yesterday at 7 days after the trigger.  Is this normal?  Thanks for your input.

Hello Laura from the U.S. (San Diego),

I don't have the ability to foresee the future, and certainly exceptions can occur, however, the follicle sizes were too big.  Usually once the follicle is greater than 24 mms, the egg within is overmature and therefore no longer viable.  Ovulation may occur but that is the main problem.  Also, it is highly likely that these follicles will turn cystic (persist) and have to be suppressed with birth control pills.  You need to make sure a baseline ultrasound is don to evaluate for this at the start of your next cycle.

So, statistically and physiologically speaking, this cycle is probably a bust.  Unfortunately, your doctor missed the appropriate point by not doing the ultrasound early enough.  Next cycle he should begin looking at cycle day #9 or 10, which is what I do.  If I'm too early that's okay because nothing is lost and gives me a better idea of follicular development.  If you're too late, as in your cycle, then then cycle is lost; a big price to pay.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco