Infertility/Fertility/High Left ovary

I have stage 4 Endometriosis. I am currently on my 8th day of stims with Gonal-F (@150mg). I have been told that my right ovary has only 3 follicles, but my left ovary has 11 great sized follicles. Unfortunately, the left ovary is very high and the doctor has said it will be very difficult to reach. I want to make sure that they are able to access that ovary and use those 11 follicles. This is our first (and ONLY) IVF. If it does not work, we are out of options so I am desperate to use all the follicles possible. I would even consider having a laparotomy if it would work. What can be done to access a difficult to reach ovary?

Hello Lorien from the U.A.E.,

It is very rare that ovaries cannot be reached vaginally, even with stage four endometriosis, but I can imagine an ovary that is so stuck upward that it cannot be safely reached.  In that case, laparoscopy will need to be done to aspirate the eggs.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco