Infertility/Fertility/old ovaries

hello again...
im 25 yrs old from RE just cancelled my  ivf because of only 3 E2 was 1546 at day 15 of my day 3 he saw many antral follicles and gave me 150iu menopur on alternate days untill day 11 of my cycle...there were only 8 follicles of sizes 13 10 9 7 on right and 15 13 8 7 on left with E2 of 502 at day 12...then increases my dose to 225iu menopur with antagonist injection also starting from that day.....but on day 15 he saw only 3 follicles of 19 20 21 sizes and cancelled my cycle and telling me that my responce was unexpected according to my age and my ovaries are probably older...
i was devastated as it was my third attempt ...i got 11 and 8 eggs respectively for the last two attempts...
are my ovaries really very old...if so why is it so and what should i do....
my RE also gave me CLOMID 500mg 2 times a day upto day 11 of my cycle...please guide why did it happened

Hello Again Hina,

You are having a difficult time with your IVF experience and I am sorry for your difficulties.

I'm afraid that I can't answer your question without a full review of your IVF cycle documents to see exactly what went on.  It seems strange to me.  First of all, you were on a fairly low dose protocol (max dose is 600 IU using all Follistim, all Menopur or a combination of the two).  Secondly, an FSH of 1546 is a reasonable peak Estradiol level and shows more than three mature sized follicles.  Thirdly, if you stimulated so well in the past, why was it so much less this time? (I think it might be because you were inadequately stimulated).  Overall, I don't think it was "old" ovaries, rather, it was an inappropriately low protocol.

We've had this discussion before about the differences between IVF clinics, doctors, protocols, etc.  Unfortunately, your experience in this cycle highlights how results can be so different between clinics.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco