Infertility/Fertility/Wrong email addresss

Question
QUESTION: This was the first time I had ever posted a question to this site and the only response I received was that you already answered my question. I had entered it the wrong email address and that could have been why I didn't get your first response.

Hello,
I am writing from San Diego, CA.  I was on 100mg Clomid on CD 3-7, then 2mg estradiol on cd 8-12.  I went in for an ultrasound to check follicles on cd 13.  My RE said that this was most likely a lost cycle because I had 2 dominant follicles at 26 and 31 mm.  He gave me an HCG trigger because he did not want the follicles to get bigger and become cysts.  My uterine lining was 14 mm, and my RE was happy with that.  My husband and I had intercourse the day of the trigger and the day after, then skipped a day and had intercourse one more time.  Were the follicles too big?  Do we have any chance of conceiving this cycle?  I have also been feeling cramps since yesterday at 7 days after the trigger.  Is this normal?  Thanks for your input.

I have already answered this question for you once before.

ANSWER: Hello Laura,

Somehow your question got logged into the queue twice so in case you didn't get the answer, here it is again.

You answered this question on 09/07/13

Questioner: Laura
Private: No     View Published Answer
Subject: Clomid & HCG Trigger
Question: Hello,
Answer: Hello Laura from the U.S. (San Diego#,

I don't have the ability to foresee the future, and certainly exceptions can occur, however, the follicle sizes were too big.  Usually once the follicle is greater than 24 mms, the egg within is overmature and therefore no longer viable.  Ovulation may occur but that is the main problem.  Also, it is highly likely that these follicles will turn cystic #persist) and have to be suppressed with birth control pills.  You need to make sure a baseline ultrasound is don to evaluate for this at the start of your next cycle.

So, statistically and physiologically speaking, this cycle is probably a bust.  Unfortunately, your doctor missed the appropriate point by not doing the ultrasound early enough.  Next cycle he should begin looking at cycle day #9 or 10, which is what I do.  If I'm too early that's okay because nothing is lost and gives me a better idea of follicular development.  If you're too late, as in your cycle, then then cycle is lost; a big price to pay.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.

QUESTION: My husband and I decided to take a month off before starting IUI. Since my follicles were so big, should I request a baseline ultrasound this "off" cycle or wait until we do the IUI cycle?

Answer
Hi Again,

The proper procedure should be to do a baseline ultrasound to rule out ovarian cysts, before starting the fertility medications for an IUI cycle.  However, if you are taking more than one month off, then you can certainly have an ultrasound done with your next period to make sure they resolve.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG