Infertility/Fertility/Perimenopause

Question
Good afternoon Scott.

In my family, there has long been a history of ovarian deficiency- ranging back to my great-grandmother.
My mother, my two sisters, and my maternal grandmother all had trouble conceiving. However, as I was adopted, this is the only information I have regarding my family background.

I have always had trouble falling pregnant- in the case of our youngest, it took us two years to conceive!( I am twenty-eight next month).
We currently have three children- two from a previous relationship.

My husband and I have been trying again for the last six months, using basal temp method and cervical mucus

I am concerned, that I am not actually ovulating- that, actually I am experiencing the perimenopause.
I have been experiencing a long list of health problems- itchy skin, lengthening periods, increasingly frequent migraines, brittle nails, unstable mood swings, extreme depression, etc.

I have been to my doctor, and she has ordered me a progesterone bloodtest for the week following next, as next week is my supposed 'window of opportunity'.

Following that, an FSH bloodtest.
Its a long time to wait when your after answers.

I guess what am I asking is: can a history of ovarian issues manifest itself after successful pregnancies? Even in someone as young as myself?

Any reassurance, would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kate

Answer
Hi Kate,

I've seen diminished ovarian reserve and even ovarian failure in 16 year olds, so yes, it's possible.

I test ovarian reserve with:
a) Menstrual cycle day 3 FSH and estradiol and AMH and TSH (blood tests);
b) Menstrual cycle day 3 ultrasound for antral follicle count.

IF I find diminished ovarian reserve, it *may* be worthwhile checking a blood test for a karyotype (chromosome analysis) and Fragile-X.

Discuss this with your doctor.
Dr. Roseff in Florida
(I've had UK patients come here to conceive and return home successfully pregnant!)
www.reproendo.com
www.ivfmd.com

Infertility/Fertility

Scott Roseff, MD, FACOG