Infertility/Fertility/Endometriosis and fertility

I suffered from secondary infertility back in 2012 and was ultimately diagnosed with minimal to mild emdometriosis, which was cauterized via laparoscopy. I finally became pregnant naturally my first cycle after the surgery (I now have a little girl). We are now starting to try for our third child, what are the chances the endometriosis has reoccoured? I should also mention I do not have any of the symptoms I did before the surgery eg: painful intercourse, debilitating periods etc.. We are hoping we do not have to go through the surgery etc all over again.

Hello Laura from Canada,

Pregnancy is a great treatment for endometriosis and often can cure the disease.  However, in most cases, once the menstrual cycles resumes, the endometriosis will return as the cells that lead the endometriosis come from the uterine lining (endometrium) and migrate into the pelvis with the menses.  Some studies have shown a 6 month window of opportunity to get pregnant before the endometriosis comes back.  If you are within that window, I would recommend that you aggressively pursue pregnancy.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate.  I also now provide an Email Concierge Advisory Service with a 1 year subscription for patients that want easy access to me to answer questions along their journey (women's health, infertility, pregnancy).  Contact me at if you are interested in continuous access to me.

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco